Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: American State Boundaries
Date: May 08, 2003 @ 15:45
Author: Brian J. Butler (Brian J. Butler <bjbutler@...>)

On Thursday 08 May 2003 11:12 am, you wrote:
I agree with you Mike and I too am interested in the academic (and aesthetic)
fractal boundary question. I was merely responding to Kevin's statement that
"we can and do measure natural borders". My point is that the length of a
boundary would seem to have no political or legal significance and so I doubt
there have been any official measurements of the length, as opposed to
position, of the Ellis Island boundary. Of course, as previously
demonstrated, neither can be measured if the boundary is the high water mark
(i.e. fractal), but both can be measured if the boundary is polygonal (i.e.
monuments connected by straight line segments).
BJB