Subject: Re: American State Boundaries
Date: May 08, 2003 @ 16:05
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Flynn, Kevin"

> They did measure around the presumed
> 1934 low water line on Ellis Island and there is a length to it.

really
you mean 1834
but can you help me to it

thats the number i want
or close enough to it

> It is
> really silly to say that a river that courses, e.g., 10 miles must
be
> regarded as infinite in shorelineand equal to the Nile.

yes i agree
if infinity doesnt equal infinity
but doesnt it
i forget

but also why not be really silly
& why couldnt the shorelines of unequal rivers be equal

> Regarding Ellis Island, while you are correct about the origin of
the legal
> matter (NJ's claim regarding the filled portion of the island on
formerly
> submerged ground) NJ didn't dispute NY jurisdiction on the
original 1834
> defined island. The 1834 compact is the "lesser" instrument I
refer to,
> which appears to me to be something less than actually
conferring NY
> statehood to the island, but is merely a NJ concession of NY's
right to
> authority over the original island.

the 1834 is the original & definitive agreement
& possibly the only completely ratified agreement to date

i have the telling parts if you want excerpts

> I still am not clear on whether Ellis is a true outclave of NY, or
simply NJ
> territory that has had its jurisdiction ceded to NY by simple
agreement.

it is a true outclave
based on this agreement