Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] Re: American State Boundaries
Date: May 08, 2003 @ 17:17
Author: Flynn, Kevin ("Flynn, Kevin" <flynnk@...>)

Would I agree? Obviously not. You can argue and theorize about the need to
measure around molecules, but the real world doesn't operate that way. We
can and do measure natural boundaries. Obviously, it is ridiculous for
someone to claim a 10-mile river is equal in length to the Nile. Anyone who
will tell us that it is impossible to measure a riverbank's length will not
be taken seriously in the real world.

I didn't say it's always an easy task -- following all the bends and bows of
the Red River at OK-TX is a difficult chore -- but the legal boundary can be
measured and is measured in human scale. It's fun to argue about measuring
around a molecule, but c'mon. Don't get lost in the theory so much that
you're immobilized in the real world.

Re: Ellis Island. I believe that a measurement was indeed made of the
boundary. The question you ask was why? Because it is there, I suppose. Same
question might apply to numerous point-to-point boundaries. Why measure if
you're only going from point A to point B? They just do it as part of the
establishment of the line.