Subject: Re: third level exclave bremen
Date: Apr 09, 2003 @ 09:10
Author: anorak222 ("anorak222" <listen@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@c...> wrote:

> Something's strange in this discussion.
>
> Hansastadt Bremen is made up of two pieces, Bremen and Bremerhaven.
> Bremerhaven translated is "Harbor of Bremen". On the surface, I think
> we are involved in discussing city with two parts (stadtteile), a land
> (state) that is in two parts and corporate harbor area (state/land or
> possibly even city owned and operated), all at the same time without
> discerning between them.

No. The Land (state) of Bremen consists of two independent municipalities, Bremen and Bremerhaven, who incidentally are not physically connected. We are looking at an enclave of one municipality (Bremen) in the other (Bremerhaven), the fact that the two are in the same state state notwithstanding.

In 1942 however, Bremen was not a state (the Nazi regime effectively abolished states, and the pre-Nazi states had different names and borders from today). But the map shows the municipality later to be called Bremerhaven, with the enclave on municipality level already in existance. More confusing is the fact that both the surounding municipality as well as the enclave later switched names, but this name change didn't really alter the enclave situation as such.

Regards