Subject: Re: Missing Berlin Wall Touches off Dispute Over Desolate Checkpoint Charlie
Date: Apr 09, 2003 @ 09:22
Author: anorak222 ("anorak222" <listen@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@c...> wrote:
> and all through the city, cobblestones mark the path
> that the wall once took.

Not really, just on sections near the city centre.

> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Hanrahan" <hanrahan@k...>
> > Nowadays, Checkpoint Charlie features a reproduction of the guard
> house once manned by U.S. soldiers, complete with sandbag defenses and
> the tall white sign declaring: "You are now leaving the American sector."

I seem to remember there was a piece of the wall left standinng opposite to checkpoint charlie (it's been moved from its original location across the street, now giving false impressions about the real geography, but the tourists'll never notice ...). I didn't consciously notice that it'd been taken away. I'll look next time I pass CCharlie.

Regards