Subject: Re: EU or not on the Euro
Date: Sep 20, 2002 @ 15:20
Author: anorak222 ("anorak222" <listen@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Franc Van Diest" <franc@v...> wrote:
> If you want to draw the continental borders i am more than willing
> assist.
> As far as I know no official (international) document is availaible
as
> reference

I like this map:

http://userpage.fu-
berlin.de/~tmuehle/europa/europa/europadat/europa_karte.htm

Of course it has no "official" status, and I don't think there's a
document which does. It's all cultural.

All landmasses on earth are really just islands in the global ocean
(there is only one). Some islands are bigger, some are smaller, and
we tend to call the a couple of bigger ones "continents". But there's
no strict seperation between continents and regular islands. Not even
size. Why is Australia a continent, but Greenland isn't? It's just
arbitrary.

And the island concept isn't strictly followed either. If it was, we
would call Eurasiafrica one continent, since the three are connected
by land (Well, Africa is now separated by the Suez canal, but that's
a human made waterway so it doesn't count).

Likewhise it is my understanding, that USAans tend to view North and
South America as separate continents, whilst most Europeans tend to
view them as one. Another proof that continents are a cultural
concept.

Regards