Subject: Re: oldest purely 'fiat' international boundary?
Date: Dec 10, 2001 @ 19:45
Author: johnfgriffiths ("johnfgriffiths" <johnfrancisgriffiths@...>)

The (15th? century)Treaty of Tordessillas, dividing the world into
Spanish and Portugese spheres, may not have given the oldest such
boundary, but it must be the longest (encircling the globe).
Hadrian's Wall certainly has some long straight stretches,
particularly at the eastern end; where is crosses hillier country it
does use natural features, marching with the line of crags of the
Whin Sill outcrops.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., David Mark <dmark@g...> wrote:

> What do you think is the oldest example of a purely "fiat"
international
> boundary? A purely fiat boudnary is one which is drawn
independently of