Subject: Re: An Indian Ocean high seas enclave
Date: Dec 10, 2001 @ 20:00
Author: granthutchison ("granthutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

Michael:
> grant another case of believe it or not i still cant get this
>attachment
Let me know your full e-mail address (rather then the clipped version
I can see in Yahoo), and I'll e-mail it to you.

> but it intrigues me & i would like both to see it & compare it to
> prescott because i had a feeling at one point while i was on the road
> missing things that you had actually exceeded or were on the brink of
> exceeding his inventory & perhaps this was the moment right here
I can't vouch for the small Indian Ocean enclave - it's too close to
my error limit. The larger one is shown by Prescott, but not discussed
in his text.
I list two high seas enclaves not shown by Prescott:
1) South Fiji Basin. Prescott doesn't show this because the claims
bounding it are sufficiently poor he doesn't map them.
2) Chatham Rise. Prescott plots the southern NZ enclave on his global
map, which I think is too small-scale to show the second NZ enclave.
For some reason he shows neither in his chapter on the South Pacific.

> also can you describe what the cargados carajos might look like from
> your admiralty chart
The chart is dated 1846, with a revision history up to 1993. Cargados
Carajos is a crescentic coral reef with a chain of islands rising from
its southern end - one, Coco Island is marked "a little water by
digging" and another "Trees (conspic)" to the north and west of this
reef are several small islands, each only a couple of hundred metres
across: Albatross Island ("Rep'd to lie 6 cables further N'ward.
H.M.S. Owen 1962"); North Island; Siren Island; Pearl Island
("conspic. red roofs") and Frigate Island ("A little water but brackish").
And in beautiful copperplate down the east side of the reef it reads:
"This eastern coast was sketched by Lieutenant Mudge in 1825 by means
of boats which penetrated from the western side among the reefs; as no
vessel could venture to approach from the Seaward face."
I often look at the chart and think of Lieutenant Mudge, sweating over
his sketching paper, and the seamen pulling at the oars and then
resting, pulling and then resting, all through some breathless,
simmering, long-ago afternoon.

Grant