Subject: Re: Breitenstein pictures in Photos section!
Date: Aug 29, 2001 @ 20:08
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

I'm not sure. The 25k topo map of the area I have seems to indicate
it is no longer a working stone. But this possibly is because the
border is depicted on the other side of the road. On French 25k maps,
the boundary is never drawn in the middle of the road, and on the
Breitenstein side there is not much room for it. So either it isn't a
working stone anymore (I have searched for a stone on the other side
of the road that would be the region boundary marker), or it is, but
we can only tell, I think, if we get detailed information from the
French authorities, or a map with a bigger scale.

I have read somewhere else that the Breitenstein _is_ on the
Alsace/Lorraine border (can't remember where now). The stone is
probably not 'in' the municipality of Meisenthal, like it says on the
sign at the spot. According to my map, it is in Mouterhouse, although
close to the border. The stone could even be a tripoint (Meisenthal,
Mouterhouse, Wingen-s/Moder), because of the already mentioned
inability to depict a border _on_ a road. But, as I said, it is
difficult to tell from the map.

Anyway, when I will post the follow-up, I will include a scan of the
map I have. Then you can judge for yourself.

But I think only the authorities can give us the answer whether the
Breitenstein is still working. I still give it the benifit of the
doubt, not only because I want it to be a working stone, but also
because I don't see any reason why a stone that certainly was a
working one in the past, especially such a prominent one, would lose
its job.

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "m donner" <maxivan82@h...> wrote:
> thanx peter for these top notch words
>
> they seem to indicate the monster is no longer functional as a
boundary
> marker of any kind
> thus no longer a candidate for oldest working rock in the world
> even if still a candidate for other honors
>
> can you confirm
>

> & is such a loss of eminence also true of its 2 companion candidates
>

> & if so
> or if not
> what is left standing at the top of this category

> >From: "Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@y...>
> >To: BoundaryPoint@y...
> >Subject: [BoundaryPoint] Breitenstein pictures in Photos section!
> >Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 21:53:30 -0000
> >
> >And now the Alsatian monster, the Breitenstein. I have taken
another
> >four pictures of it. Later on, I will show you pictures of the
Drei-
> >Peterstein and the Spitzstein, and a lot of very pretty early 17th
> >century boundary stones in the vicinity, still marking the boundary
> >between Alsace and Lorraine. Really a "must" for the boundary
marker
> >freak…
> >
> >The text of the explanatory sign at the Breitenstein (in French and
> >German; I reproduce the French text here, because I take this from
> >photograph I have taken of the sign, and whereas the French text is
> >only just barely readable, the German text is unreadable.):
> >
> >Breitenstein
> >
> >Le Breitenstein, traduit littéralement par "pierre large" ou plus
> >justement par "pierre frontière", est un bloc de grés rouge d'une
> >hauteur de 4,40 m. Situé aujourd'hui sur le territoire de la
commune
> >mosellane de Meisenthal, il fut autrefois un point remarquable de
la
> >limite entre l'Alsace et la Lorraine.
> >
> >Ce monolithe dressé par l'homme garde toujours secrets son état
> >originel et sa signification primitive. En remontant son histoire,
on
> >découvre certains usages vérifiés ou supposés: lieu de fête, de
foire
> >ou de pélerinage, borne de frontière ou de péage, monument païen
> >christianisé, sépulture, repère pour le calcul du calendrier
> >d'anciennes peuplades, site tellurique aux qualités thérapeutiques…
> >
> >Une longue histoire qui remonterait à la civilisation mégalithique
> >
> >Cité pour la première fois en 713 dans une charte de donation à
> >l'abbaye de Wissembourg, le Breitenstein a toujours été considéré
> >comme une pierre borne.
> >
> >Du côté alsacien, il a marqué à partir du XIVe siècle la limite des
> >droits d'escorte conférés aux puissants sires de Lichtenberg. En
> >échange du paiement d'un péage, les voyageurs et leurs marchandises
> >bénéficiaient de leur protection entre Strasbourg et le
Breitenstein.

> >Un calvaire et les représentations des douze apôtres se dressent
> >aujourd'hui au sommet du rocher. Cette transformation de la pierre
> >remonte à 1787, accomplissement d'un voeu pieux d'un riche marchand
> >de la région. Comme certains menhirs bretons, le Breitenstein
devint
> >alors un signal chrétien et prit le nom de "Pierre des douze
> >Apôtres". Peu après, les figures entourant la croix furent
> >décapitées. Peut-être à la mi-novembre 1793, quand le général Hoche
> >établit son camp à proximité immédiate? Confirmation de l'intérêt
> >stratégique du lieu: un poste assez important de l'Armée du Rhin y
> >fut cantonné quelques temps.
> >
> >En fait, le Breitenstein est établi à un carrefour de routes
> >importantes: l'antique Via Bassoniaca, voie de crête Sud-
Ouest/Nord-
> >Est, et une artère commerciale Nord-Sud qui permettait de rejoindre
> >la Lombardie depuis les Flandres en passant par Strasbourg,
Ingwiller