Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] possible explanation for undermeasurement of 12mile arc
Date: Feb 13, 2005 @ 19:26
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

--- "Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...> wrote:

> I'm trying to find the time to delve into the legal
> history of this short arc

fantastic
& when you can
please read or reread first of all that the center
point of the undermeasured 1934 arc is stated in the
same 1935 supreme court document below that gives the
measurement itself

& this center point is
the same new castle county courthouse spire that was
used for most of the several other arc segment radii

so your possible alternative explanation to my
possible explanation here below is actually impossible

also feast your eyes on these pre1934 topos
http://historical.maptech.com/getImage.cfm?fname=smyr31ne.jpg&state=DE
especially
& also
http://historical.maptech.com/getImage.cfm?fname=wlmt06se.jpg&state=DE
which confirm my surmise about the location of the
natural left bank before artificial island was added
&
show an arc of much longer radius too

indeed this earlier depiction of the arc appears to
place it in substantially the correct position

all of which helps visualize my possible explanation
still standing tall & solo here below
even if still only possible

& also underscores how egregious if not outrageous the
foreshortening of the arc radius must have seemed at
least to some observers at the time

so i gotta figure that must have left at least a trace
somewhere
like say in the local newspapers when the supreme
court decisions were announced

& i also think your mr schenck here would be the one
to begin to both question & inform about all this

for yes i do know about him & this site of his & its
179 official delaware border rocks etc etc
if he is the same schenck i once tried to tell about
the 180th one i had also found
as described in
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BoundaryPoint/message/12253

but he never responded & never added it to his data
set either
so i dont know what to make of him or it

perhaps you would like to try him out fresh tho

he could be helpful after all

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=2
> > 95&invol=694
> > the 7th numbered bound confirms my discovery
> > made long ago by direct measurement of the paper
> > topos
> > that the actual radius of this 1934 aftersweep of
> > the original
> > 12mile new castle arc
> > measures not 12 miles at all
> > but only some 59764 feet
> > or in other words 11 miles & about 1684 feet
> > & is thus for some as yet unexplained reason about
> > 3596 feet
> > too short
> >
> > seeking an explanation in the original judgment of
> > 1934 that
> > ordered the survey that made the measurement

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=2
> > 91&invol=361
> > i found none
> > tho there is incidentally an awfully interesting
> > legal discussion
> > there of the tension that has historically existed
> > between the
> > midriver & thalweg principles
> > dating all the way back to freakin tacitus
> >
> > but my original questions remain
> >
> > how could such a flagrant mistake have been made
> in
> > the first
> > place
> > & how could it then have been accepted by the
> > special master &
> > ultimately by the supreme court at large
> > all of whom must have known full well there are
> 5280
> > feet in a
> > mile
> >
> > did everyone just assume & not bother to check the
> > arithmetic
> >
> > other markers i have seen in this series
> > especially number 1
> > appear to have been installed so haphazardly that
> > there is a real
> > question in my mind about the basic competency &
> > diligence of
> > the surveyors
> > & indeed of everyone involved
> >

> > but that is as far as i have been able to take it
> so

=== message truncated ===