Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: yikes more bits of left bank delaware found
Date: Feb 13, 2005 @ 20:07
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

--- "L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@...> wrote:

> The boundaries on these maps don't seem to be very
> accurate

good point not just here but practically always

& we can always hope for better maps too

& one more insert below

- so I

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=11&Z=18&X=807&Y=10737&W=3&qs=%7cWashington%7cDC%7c

> It's an image of ones Point, at the southern tip of
> DC. The border
> marker that is actually on the shore is not the
> start of the
> northbound DC VA border - which the map by the same
> organization shows
> as being at least 20 feet into the Potomac. The
> cession of this part
> of DC in the 1850s to VA stipulated that the Potomac
> shore was the
> border, not that it lies some line 20 feet out into
> the water.

but this offshore bit of dcva here isnt about that

& notice it is more like 150 feet than 20 feet out

rather this bit is 20th century
i am pretty sure

per bus&ss
& 59 stat 552
from the intersection of the high water line & the
center line of second street in alexandria extended
the dcva boundary follows the established pierhead
line to the corner common to dc&md&va

but anyway thats what thats about
whenever it actually went down
& it looks exactly right to me on your map too

i have been there & eyeballed the pierheads
& am completely satisfied with the usgs rendition of
this all the way to & including dcmdvas

so youll have to cast your aspersions more in general
rather than in this particular case

but they are aspersions well taken

In the

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=12&Z=18&X=568&Y=5487&W=3