Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] possible explanation for undermeasurement of 12mile arc
Date: Feb 12, 2005 @ 18:05
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

I'm trying to find the time to delve into the legal history of this short arc
segment in an effort to understand its apparent undermeasurement, but in the
meantime, I've found this:

The 2003 Annual Report to the Governor on the "Delaware Spatial Data Framework"
by "The Delaware Spatial Data Implementation Team" [I-Team] contained the
following two paragraphs:
_____

> In 2003, the USGS and the Delaware Geological Survey worked together to create
> a new, highly accurate state boundary data set. This boundary has been
> mathematically derived to match the locations of the 179 historic monuments
> that mark portions of the actual state boundary. This project has also
> involved mapping the portion of the boundary that follows the 1934 mean low
> water line of the New Jersey side of the Delaware River within the 12-mile
> circle that partially delineates the northern part of the state.

> This project has highlighted some potential boundary issues that are now under
> legal review. Settling the questions raised by this project will be a task of
> the I-Team in 2004. As part of this process, the I-Team in 2004 will consider
> approving a "state outline" data set to show the shorelines of the river, bay
> and ocean that people tend to think of when they think of the shape of
> Delaware.
_____

In this regard, also see the PFD at http://tinyurl.com/3u8jh . This is a
three-page summary of a February 2004 meeting held by the Delaware Geographic
Data Committee. The topic "Delaware Boundary Data Set" beginning on page 2
summarizes a presentation by Sandy Schenck (which is said to be attached to the
original document, but is not attached to the PDF). The Schenck presentation
supposedly covers the history of the surveys of each of the segments of the
Delaware boundary, the recent work by the USGS, and a descriptive error recently
discovered in the 1934 boundary on the left bank of the Delaware River. (I do
not suggest that this error is the apparent undermeasurement of the arc.) The
non-attached Schenck presentation might answer our questions if it could be
obtained.

Mike, perhaps you know this, but there is an on-line compilation of the
locations of and directions to each of the many Delaware boundary monuments and
reference monuments. It is accessed from
http://www.rdms.udel.edu/dgs/boundaryMap.html . (This includes DENJ Monument
Number 6 that you could not recover in the nuclear dump.)

As for the 1934 apparent undermeasurement of the 12-mile arc segment of DENJ, is
it possible that it is not an undermeasurement at all, but an accurate
twelve-mile measurement from a different center point in or about New Castle?
If this is the case, it begs the question of why there would be a different
center point. Your message below gives one possible explanation.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA