Subject: Re: enclaves on stamps
Date: Sep 23, 2004 @ 08:11
Author: Anton Zeilinger ("Anton Zeilinger" <anton_zeilinger@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Mike D. wrote:
>
> > forgive me
> > i am not trying to be cloudy
> > & i see lowell thinks he may see & agree with this
> > so i will at least stand by for clearance
> > but this too makes no sense to me
> >
> > if you simply move across the quadripoint position
> > wherever it is actually located
> > you are in fact partly reaching one part of austria before fully
> > leaving the other
> > & it is impossible not to do so
>
> You had to know that this was coming:
>
> What if Jungholz were separated from the rest of Austria by one foot of
> intervening German territory? You could still step from one to the
other, and
> you would also be partially entering one before fully leaving the
other, just as
> you say above. However, every atom of your being would pass through
German
> territory on the way. Guess what: That happens anyway when you
step across the
> Jungholz binational quadrapoint as it exists, because none of your
atoms are
> infinitely small--as is the point of intersection. That is why some
of us
> contend that the single point is of no practical consequence.
>
> Put another way, if Germany were to build a wall along its entire
boundary with
> Austria, that wall would touch corner-to-corner at the Jungholz cross,
> separating the two parts of Austria as effectively as if there were
a foot or a
> mile of German territory between them.
>
> To me, that makes Jungholz an enclave, just as surely as any other.
It just has
> a peculiarity that most others don't.
>
> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA

I fully agree! The point connecting Jungholz with Austria is a
trigonometrical reference point with absolutely no dimension at all.
As Lowell points out, not even an atom, indeed, not even an electron
or a quark can go from Austria to Jungholz without passing through
Germany. Thus Jungholz fully functions as an enclave, as access to it
is only posssible via a foreign state's sovereign territory.

See also Brownlie, in African Boundaries, p. 1099, writing on a
possible Botswana/Namibia/South Africa/Zimbabwe (don't know the
correct abbreviations, BwNmSaZm?), where he states that "a
trigonometrical reference point has no dimension" and thus no
connection exists.

Cheerio,

Anton