Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: enclaves on stamps
Date: Sep 23, 2004 @ 03:58
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Mike D. wrote:

> forgive me
> i am not trying to be cloudy
> & i see lowell thinks he may see & agree with this
> so i will at least stand by for clearance
> but this too makes no sense to me
>
> if you simply move across the quadripoint position
> wherever it is actually located
> you are in fact partly reaching one part of austria before fully
> leaving the other
> & it is impossible not to do so

You had to know that this was coming:

What if Jungholz were separated from the rest of Austria by one foot of
intervening German territory? You could still step from one to the other, and
you would also be partially entering one before fully leaving the other, just as
you say above. However, every atom of your being would pass through German
territory on the way. Guess what: That happens anyway when you step across the
Jungholz binational quadrapoint as it exists, because none of your atoms are
infinitely small--as is the point of intersection. That is why some of us
contend that the single point is of no practical consequence.

Put another way, if Germany were to build a wall along its entire boundary with
Austria, that wall would touch corner-to-corner at the Jungholz cross,
separating the two parts of Austria as effectively as if there were a foot or a
mile of German territory between them.

To me, that makes Jungholz an enclave, just as surely as any other. It just has
a peculiarity that most others don't.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA