Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Possible to have land in USA that isn't in a State?
Date: Aug 03, 2004 @ 03:14
Author: Michael Kaufman (Michael Kaufman <mikekaufman79@...>)

The "line so laid down" has to do with what is marked
on the charts and agreed to by the commissioners. Ok,
borderline nitpicking here but it never says "straight
lines." (though I don't see why they would draw them
any other way) And even assuming straight lines, if
these charts are of Mercator-type, then straight lines
would follow the curve of the 49th. Don't know what
the standards of a century ago were in terms of what
type of map projection the commisioners used, but that
fact would seem to be vital to the determination of
the boundary.

Article VII
http://www.lexum.umontreal.ca/ca_us/en/cus.1908.299.en.html