Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Possible to have land in USA that isn't in a State?
Date: Aug 03, 2004 @ 05:02
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

It is the 1925 treaty that specifies "a series of right or straight lines
joining adjacent monuments ... in lieu of the definition ... quoted in Article
VI of the said Treaty of 1908, that in the intervals between the monuments the
line has the curvature of the parallel of 49ยบ north latitude."

I don't know what kind of maps they used, but the lines were straight on the
ground, whereas the 49th parallel would sag southward between monuments. If the
maximum sag was 1.8 feet, as the 1925 treaty says, then the difference would
have been indistinguishable on any map showing the intervisible monuments.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA