Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] 2 vatican footnotes
Date: Apr 17, 2004 @ 15:16
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Mike,

I agree with everything you have written below except your second paragraph,
which I have already refuted in my message 13991, as you have noted.

Further, it is possible that the arms of the colonnade, as built by Bernini, had
steps along their outer margins at some points and not at others due to
irregularity in the natural topography over such a long distance. I note that
the plinths in Fig. 3b sit on about a foot of the wide marble top step, which is
also equal in width to each of the three lower steps. In Fig. 11, however,
there is a narrower marble strip that does not extend beyond the plinths. Where
there are several steps, they would extend beyond the cornice, and where there
are few or none, they would not. This, combined with the statement by the
Italian author (Tullio Aebischer) that they were all paved over as of 1929,
causes him to see the plinth line as the boundary. Even if that point were
granted, the plinth lines jog outward at the propylaea. The alignment of the
travertine strip with the plinth lines of the narrower colonnades is his only
justification for exclusion of the outer propylaea from the Vatican City State.

I think we must classify some of the finer points of the colonnade boundaries as
indefinite. They are likely to remain so until someone commits a felony on the
steps or within an outer propylaeum on one of those rare days when the Vatican
closes St. Peter's Square to the public, thereby pushing Italian police
jurisdiction beyond the poorly defined outer edge of Bernini's Colonnade.

There is another delicious article on the curiosities of the Vatican boundary,
this one by Vitto La Colla, on the same web site. Its two parts begin at
http://tinyurl.com/yvb86 . I have only begun to try to de-Italianize it.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA