Subject: Re: 2 vatican footnotes
Date: Apr 17, 2004 @ 21:38
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

lowell

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> I agree with everything you have written below except your
second paragraph,
> which I have already refuted in my message 13991, as you
have noted.

yes & thanx for all the aiding & abetting in the ongoing
improvement of my & our belief structures

> Further, it is possible that the arms of the colonnade, as built
by Bernini, had
> steps along their outer margins at some points and not at
others due to
> irregularity in the natural topography over such a long distance.

yes i have already observed this too but would add now that
everything we have recently seen of the piazza & its main portal
leads me to believe further
1
that at least the inner edge & possibly everything within the
ellipse has been carefully levelled so as to make all the steps &
other architectural features stand out as cleanly & clearly as
possible & as evenly & symmetrically as possible
2
that the main portal slopes downward from piazza level to street
level
where
3
all manner of additional &or countervailing slopes are likely to
occur in all directions

> I note that
> the plinths in Fig. 3b sit on about a foot of the wide marble top
step, which is
> also equal in width to each of the three lower steps. In Fig. 11,
however,
> there is a narrower marble strip that does not extend beyond
the plinths.

it is most peculiar that these cobblestones seem to trump &or
obliterate the outermost several inches of colonnade floor here
as if part of the top marble step had to be jackhammered out so
the sides of the cobbles could be fitted against the columnar
bases with their tops flush to the floor

but perhaps this preposterous appearance only means the
original builders were cutting costs in the hidden back corners

> Where
> there are several steps, they would extend beyond the cornice,
and where there
> are few or none, they would not. This, combined with the
statement by the
> Italian author (Tullio Aebischer) that they were all paved over as
of 1929,
> causes him to see the plinth line as the boundary. Even if that
point were
> granted, the plinth lines jog outward at the propylaea. The
alignment of the
> travertine strip with the plinth lines of the narrower colonnades
is his only
> justification for exclusion of the outer propylaea from the
Vatican City State.

i see
right
& perhaps even more to our point
in fig03a
the critical photo for seeing exactly which feature the presumably
correct travertine edge actually aligns with
it seems one can distinguish the edge of the columnar base
from the edge of the underlying plinth
at least on the left side of the corner column

for the critical right side is a bit harder to see

but it looks like there is about an inch of difference on all edges
between the square base & the square plinth underlying it

yet once the transition point is reached by the travertine edge
i believe all bets are then off on any further precise geometrical
figuration because i believe itva then necessarily follows at
ground level the presumably irregular line formed wherever
visible cobblestones meet visible marble

that is
i believe
beyond the ends of the travertine sector of itva
marble is vatican & cobblestones is italy
for both entire colonnade sectors

granted this is an original & perhaps arbitrary view
but i havent yet thought of a better or truer one

& i believe any marble that may be found to exist anywhere
beneath the cobblestones would have no effect on itva
but that any marble overhanging the ground level itva would
enjoy full vatican sovereignty by vertical differentiation

but dont ask me where i believe the vertical differentiations occur
because i believe that aspect of itva is actually just as indefinite
as any mxus bridge
notwithstanding the several vertical red lines in the photos

which i dont believe in

> I think we must classify some of the finer points of the
colonnade boundaries as
> indefinite. They are likely to remain so until someone commits
a felony on the
> steps or within an outer propylaeum on one of those rare days
when the Vatican
> closes St. Peter's Square to the public, thereby pushing Italian
police
> jurisdiction beyond the poorly defined outer edge of Bernini's
Colonnade.

> There is another delicious article on the curiosities of the
Vatican boundary,
> this one by Vitto La Colla, on the same web site. Its two parts
begin at
> http://tinyurl.com/yvb86 . I have only begun to try to de-Italianize
it.

hahaha
nicely put
& another interesting site
especially with regard to that incredible sickle shaped proruption
between the colonnade & passetto

i had no idea that that was what we were actually looking at here

truly fantastic
yet relatively real

but based on all the above known difficulty in determining the
concave edge of this sickle plus all the unknown difficulty of
determining its convex edge
i rather doubt its true outlines & point convergency will ever
actually be known
but only deliciously guessed at ad infinitum

end insertions

> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA

transition of
> > sovereignty isnt clearly indicated at all
> >
> > lo si puo solo dedurre dalla presenza dei tombini con la
scritta
> > scv
> > fig 9
> > della citta del vaticano
> > anche se sono presenti altri con spqr
> > fig 10
> >
> > but it can only be inferred from the presence of metal plates
in
> > the pavement inscribed scv for vatican city state
> > http://www.globalgeografia.com/europa/vaticano/fig09.jpg
> > & also others in the area that are inscribed spqr
> > an acronym for the ancient roman senate & people
> > & thus presumably somehow standing for the vatican too
> > http://www.globalgeografia.com/europa/vaticano/fig10.jpg
> >
> > il lastricato di travertino che segna il confine
> > largo circa 60cm
> > e in corrispondenza del filare dei plinti delle colonne esterne
del
> > colonnato
> > fig 3a
> > mentre la planimetria firmata in commissione con evidenzia
> > nemmeno i due propilei confermandone lesclusione per
quelli
> > verso l italia
> >
> > the 2 foot wide travertine pavement strip that marks the
border is
> > in alignment with the edge of the plinths of the outer row of
> > columns of the basic colonnade
> > http://www.globalgeografia.com/europa/vaticano/fig03a.jpg
> > while the map or plan signed by the commissioners shows
no
> > evidence of the 2 propylaea
> > & thus confirms that they are excluded from the vatican &
belong
> > to italy
> >
> > durante la 4a adunanza della commission fu respinta
> > senza una precisa motivazione
> > la richiesta di momo di posizionare il cordolo di travertino al
di la
> > delle colonne del colonnato per comprendervi i suddetti
propilei

> > during the 4th meeting of the commission
> > a request was made by a certain momo
> > presumably a name or acronym explained elsewhere but
which
> > has eluded this reader
> > that the outer edge of the travertine be aligned with that of the
> > columns of the colonnade in such a way as to include the
> > mentioned propylaea within its outline
> > but this request was rejected without any clear or definite
> > justification
> >

> > so
> > the author
> > who is obviously otherwise a first rate researcher & thinker
> > having already allowed himself to be misled by the
sketchiness
> > of the treaty map
> > now evidently also mistakenly presumes for some reason
that
> > itva had to follow the outer edge of either the basic
colonnades
> > or the propylaea & for some reason couldnt possibly follow
both
> > alternately
> >
> > & when he finds that one edge has necessarily been
rejected &
> > the other accepted for the travertine prolongation
> > he again erroneously presumes that the edge which has
been