Subject: Re: my vatican credo so far
Date: Apr 17, 2004 @ 10:19
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Regarding the photos at
> http://www.globalgeografia.com/europa/vaticano/fig03b.jpg
> and
> http://www.globalgeografia.com/europa/vaticano/fig03a.jpg ,
> Mike wrote:
>
> > i believe they look toward the same column of the same
> > propylaeum from opposite directions
>
> > but i believe the photo in fig03b was taken while the
> > photographer was standing on the steps of the propylaeum
> > with its north column behind him
> > rather than looking toward the entire propylaeum from the
steps
> > of the narrower portion of the colonnade to its north
>
> > so i believe the steps in the photo are those of the
propylaeum

> Please study the attached rare broadside view of the north
colonnade's terminal
> propylaeum (which is cropped out of a 1.6 MB panorama of the
square by Jorgen
> Stadje at
http://www.qedata.se/bilder/panoramor/petersplatsen.jpg ).

okayyy i have just managed to feast my crossed eyes on this
entire fantastic panorama
& you are absolutely right

good searching & thinking

so i must change the above beliefs
which fortunately do not appear to have any bearing on the itva
questions

but i believe your crop attachment will elude me because i am
temporarily without email delivery
a n d
the gmane option does not seem to be working now either

btw can anyone fix that

more below

> You will see that there is no set-back line of columns within the
propylaeum.
> You can see clear through to the arched entrance on the
Mussolini-era building
> in Italy.
> The photo in Fig. 3b shows two round and one square
set-back columns.
> Therefore, these must necessarily be in the narrower
colonnade north of the
> propylaeum. What appears in Figs. 3a and 3b to be only one
round set-out column
> must be both of those of the propylaeum aligned.

ok
i read you loud & clear on all the above

> Furthermore, it appears to me
> in the attached picture that the propylaeum lacks the steps that
are found along
> the inner margin of the narrower colonnade.

i see the colonnade ends have no steps
& just reported some places where the colonnade exteriors have
no steps
so i now believe these may run the full gamut from entirely
present to entirely missing
but i dont yet believe any of the true propylaea will be found
without steps

it is possible your observations & attachment will change this
belief of mine too tho

& the propylaea steps may well touch on itva
if their bases should happen to line up with the column bases
as perfectly as the ones in fig03b do

but in the meantime can you say what if anything you can actually
see there along the base of any of the propylaea

or do you mean you do actually see
when you say it appears to you
that there are no steps there

end insertions

> Apart from the exceptions detailed above, I find the remainder
of Mike's Vatican
> credo credible.
>
> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA
>

> also
> as you indicate below
> the steps leading to the narrower portion may even have been
> paved over
> tho
> as mentioned previously
> i am not at all sure of this detail
> nor of its significance with regard to itva
>
> > and they show
> > that the outer edge of the travertine strip aligns with the outer
> edges of the
> > columnar plinths, ignoring the projection of the propylaeum.
> The author
> > believes that the outer edge of the plinths was intended by
the
> treaty, because
> > the external steps were paved over in contemporary photos.
> >
> > In his words:
> >
> > Il terzo comma definisce territorio vaticano la zona
all'interno