Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] my vatican credo so far
Date: Apr 16, 2004 @ 05:00
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Mike wrote:

> it is clear the propylaea are curved as well as stepped on the outside
> & it is clear the basic colonnades have stairs all along their inner edges
> but i still dont know if the basic colonnades also have similar stairs along
> their outer edges
> & if so what relation these might have to the basic itva ellipse

If we go back to the web site from which the two pics with the overlaid boundary
lines came, we find many additional photos and the whole voluminous history of
the boundary, from the Lateran Treaty, through the Mixed Italo-Vatican Technical
Commission (1929-1933), to what the author calls "The New Boundaries." Read it
all (or try to, because it's all in Italian) at
http://www.globalgeografia.com/europa/index_scv.htm .

Yes, the colonnades do have steps along the outer edges, as can be seen in the
photo at http://www.globalgeografia.com/europa/vaticano/fig03b.jpg . This photo
and the other one at http://www.globalgeografia.com/europa/vaticano/fig03a.jpg
look toward the same propylaeum from two different directions, and they show
that the outer edge of the travertine strip aligns with the outer edges of the
columnar plinths, ignoring the projection of the propylaeum. The author
believes that the outer edge of the plinths was intended by the treaty, because
the external steps were paved over in contemporary photos.

In his words:

Il terzo comma definisce territorio vaticano la zona all'interno del bordo
esterno dei bracci del Colonnato Berniniano e loro prolungamento. Si parla di
linee esterne non specificando bene cosa siano. L'unico modo per capirne il
significato è quello di conoscere la situazione del Colonnato a quell'epoca: il
livello della strada arrivava, in base a foto dell'epoca, alla base del plinto
delle colonne. Ciò giustifica la linea continua della pianta dell'Allegato I.

Il lastricato di travertino che segna il confine, largo circa 0.60 m, è in
corrispondenza del filare dei plinti delle colonne esterne del Colonnato, mentre
la planimetria firmata in Commissione non evidenzia nemmeno i due propilei
confermandone l'esclusione per quelli verso l'Italia.

Correndo la linea di confine lungo il lato esterno del plinto delle colonne
del filare esterno, vengono a trovarsi in territorio italiano le colonne dei
propilei del Colonnato rivolte verso Via della Conciliazione, il cornicione e
gli scalini esterni.

In this interpretation, the author applies the treaty's specification of "the
external edge of the arms of the Bernini Colonnade and their prolongation" very
literally to the columns themselves, leaving the steps, the cornice, and the
propylaea in Italy. On the other hand, who is to say that the term "colonnade"
does not refer to the entire architectural structure, with all of its
intricacies? The fact that the steps were paved over as of 1929 does not remove
them from the structure if Gianlorenzo Bernini put them there in the 17th
century. Likewise, the fact that the travertine strip (assuming that Bernini
put it there too) aligns with the plinths and not with the steps, the cornice,
or the propylaea proves nothing about the location of the boundary about these
other features. After all, the talented Mr. Bernini had no idea that he was
designing a future international boundary. If he had, he might have made it
smoother.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA