Subject: Re: vatican tidbit
Date: Apr 16, 2004 @ 00:54
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Ernst Stavro Blofeld
<blofeld_es@y...> wrote:
> > such a peculiar territorial division would make
> > these colonnades
> > the only divided buildings anywhere on itva
>
> But then there is Paul VI's audience hall on the
> itva border which by some accounts appear to be
> a divided building, indeed intricatelly so.

ok i confess i dont know the full story of this delicious mess
http://www.globalgeografia.com/europa/vaticano/fig04.jpg
& i guess it must have been a divided building for some time

but
as i understand it
& please correct me if this is wrong
it wasnt actually divided by treaty
but was the result of subsequent construction athwart the border
& remained divided only until the border could be changed & the
vatican enlarged so as to fully surround all the new construction

so i imagine if this formerly divided building really is an exception
it is the exception that actually proves both the rule & my point
namely
that dividing the buildings is contrary to the very spirit of itva

for evidently they would sooner change the border than have to
deal with divided buildings for very long

or i have misunderstood

the present official vatican map in http://tinyurl.com/3gjob
which identifies & shows this audience hall as building 61
does indicate that it is entirely if barely inside the new itva
& shows no clearly divided building anywhere on the border