Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] Enclaves
Date: Apr 23, 2001 @ 19:44
Author: Mats Hessman (Mats Hessman <Mats@...>)

Grant, soulmate,

I have procured a map of the Sultanate of Oman
(from www.omnimap.com, by the way), which, apart
from having Folding Instructions on the back side,
clearly shows the exclave of Madha as Omani
territory within UAE. It looks like you can leave
the main road and turn left into the exclave when
driving north from main-Oman to the Musandam-fragment.
On my map only the one town of Madha is shown
inside the exclave.

Robinson says on virtual exclaves: "Virtual exclaves
are areas treated as the exclaves of a country of
which they are not in the strictest legal sense an
integral part. By the Lateran Treaty of 1929, which
created the Vatican City State, certain lands and
buildings in and near Rome were declared extra-
territorial from the point of view of the Kingdom of
Italy. While these do not in law form part of the
Vatical City State, they function as if they did and
are effectively under Vatican administration."

Catudal cites Robinson, and mentions embassies as
possible virtual exclaves in addition to the Vatican
parcels, the Swiss airport of Basel, located in France
and the Soviet War Memorial in West-Berlin. He says:
"In the main, these areas represent the limited
exercise of jurisdiction of one state within foreign
territory."

Does this help at all?

Mats