Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] first try at a complete punctoscopy of canada
Date: Apr 21, 2001 @ 23:07
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

>From: David Mark <dmark@...>
>To: BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] first try at a complete punctoscopy of canada
>Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 13:38:39 -0400 (EDT)
>

>On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Brendan Whyte wrote:
>
> > That theriver here has been dammed (when?) means the line is no longer
>on a
> > bank, and created a little fragment of Al on the Ms side of the line
>south
> > from Bear Ck, which was once no doubt all land, and not lake.
>
>Sorry, but I cannot find the fragment that you are refering to on these
>maps. I also cannot find "Bear Creek"

Whoops. Try
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=16&n=3861385&e=399715&size=m

The state boundary follows the Tennessee river, then heads W of S formthe
mouth of Bear Creek. Whereas in days of yore the creek was just that, this
was no problem. Now with the damming of the Tennessee river, the creek
mounth has also been flooded, making a large estuary, and leavbing an
isolated patch of Alabama on the west bank, a pene enclave. This phenomenon
has happened at various other US dams too. It is nice to see the maps show
the original Bear creek course, so one can better understand the boundary.

BW