Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Largest enclave
Date: Mar 12, 2001 @ 22:50
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

No. No claves, ex or en.
The mainland bit i would call a fragment of the island, as the island has
the larger population and more importantly the capital. The mainland is
larger in area, but still a fragment, as it is peripheral.
***********
David pulled me up on a fine point:
an enclave or exclave must be surrounded entirely by one other unit.
An enclave is inside you and an exclave is a PIECE of you inside someome
else.
Eq. Guinea is and has neither of these.

By definition, agreed on by Robinson, Catudal, Farran, Raton, etc
An exclave is a piece of one country/political unit separated form that unit
and totally surrounded by ONE other unit.
therefore it must be:
a) a piece of a larger entity
b) landlocked and 100% surrounded by another unit.
Jungholz is not an exclave as it has a point connection with mainland
Austria. But being a singularity is very interesting nonetheless.

I dislike the distinction of en and ex claves, and tend to call both
enclaves.

Why?
Because traditionally, Llivia is an exclave of Spain but an enclave of
France.
BUT that makes it also a French exclave and a Spanish enclave form the
spanish and French points of view respectively.
So if it is a Spanish enclave AND a Spanish exclave, a French enclave AND a
French exclave, what's the point of the distinction?
It gets easily lost in English syntax.

Thus I prefer not to draw the distinction in that way, as I think it serves
little purpose.