Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] south pole
Date: Mar 12, 2001 @ 22:55
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

The capital of Bechuanaland was Mafeking outside of that colony and inside
S.Africa. When it became independent as Botswana, they had to rapidly
construct a capital, hence Gaberone, which is quite small and new.

The governor of Pitcairn Island is the British HC to NZ, located in
Wellington, thousands of miles away across the sea. An impending court case
over rape on the island has to be dealt with through him, and the Kent
Police in the UK, who are responsible for policing the 44 people left on
Pitcairn. In some sneses then, the 'capital' or administrative seat of
Pitcairn is Wellington, not the settlement of Adamstown on the island
itself.

Do other governors of permanently populated British territories live so far
away? BIOT?