Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] Re: American State Boundaries
Date: May 08, 2003 @ 06:07
Author: Flynn, Kevin ("Flynn, Kevin" <flynnk@...>)

Please let's not have the "how many angels can dance on the head of htis
pin" discussion again. We can and do measure natural borders, and we don't
need an electron microscope to do it. They did measure around the presumed
1934 low water line on Ellis Island and there is a length to it. It is
really silly to say that a river that courses, e.g., 10 miles must be
regarded as infinite in shorelineand equal to the Nile.

Regarding Ellis Island, while you are correct about the origin of the legal
matter (NJ's claim regarding the filled portion of the island on formerly
submerged ground) NJ didn't dispute NY jurisdiction on the original 1834
defined island. The 1834 compact is the "lesser" instrument I refer to,
which appears to me to be something less than actually conferring NY
statehood to the island, but is merely a NJ concession of NY's right to
authority over the original island.

I still am not clear on whether Ellis is a true outclave of NY, or simply NJ
territory that has had its jurisdiction ceded to NY by simple agreement.