Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: hi
Date: Jan 25, 2003 @ 19:28
Author: John Seeliger ("John Seeliger" <jseelige@...>)

From: <orc@...>
To: <BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2003 12:42 PM
Subject: [BoundaryPoint] Re: hi

> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "John Seeliger"
> <jseelige@a...> wrote:
> > I never replied to this one from back in May because I was (an
> still am) looking for the pics, but I had a question.
> >

> > & for your exclave question you can add to your answer of ny &
> ky
> >
> > which as you indicate do enjoy the only cases of disjunction
> within the so called contiguous 48 states
> >
> > the several other american states whose offshore islands
> extend beyond the normal territorial limits of states
> >
> > usually fixed at around 3 or 9 nautical miles from shore
> >

> > these actually discontiguous states are
> >
> > besides the relatively obvious ak & hi
> >
> > within the contiguous 48 ca & fl & me & wa
> >
> > & perhaps 1 or 2 others i may have forgotten
> >
> > This is my question. Arif's website mentions:
> >
> > USA
> >
> > Kentucky - Fragment separated by Missouri
> >
> > New York - Two enclaves in New Jersey territorial waters
> >
> > Dave Seaman wrote on rec.puzzles
> that Hawaii and Michigan are not disconnected. I thought I
> asked him about Alaska and he said no, but I can't find it. Where
> is a map showing AK or HI disconnected?
>
> i dont know of any maps
> but it is a matter of international law
> that the territorial seas of sovereign countries dont extend more
> than 12 nautical miles from their coastal baselines
>
> & it is a matter of american law
> that the state territorial seas of ak & hi per se & most other
> coastal states dont extend more than 3nm from their coasts

OK, but above you mention 3 or 9. Didn't we discuss a while back that FL
extends 9 nmi and AL only 3 nmi?

> so the gap between kauai & oahu for example
> being far more than 6 nautical miles
> nay far more than even 24 nautical miles
> breaks the territory not only of hawaii but ultimately at
> midpassage even that of the usa itself

I was pretty sure I had asked Dave about whether AK was connected and he
said that only NY and KY were disconnected. I had always remained somewhat
curious about whether this were true. From a legal standpoint, does the US
and Russia border? I recall in the middle of the Bering Straits, Little
Diomede (US) and Big Diomede (Russia) are less than 3 miles apart. (1.
http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:D4sv6gIqkUcC:www.pbs.org/harriman/curre
nt/profiles/diomede.html+little+diomede&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
2. http://abcnews.go.com/ABC2000/abc2000travel/diomede.html <<< (It is
interesting that its pop is 180 considering its longitutde)
3. http://www.uark.edu/misc/jcdixon/Historic_Whaling/Villages/Diomede.htm)

BTW, I heard two claims I am skeptical of. 1. One of the Alaskan islands
lies beyond the IDL. I doubt this as as fat as I can see, all of them are
on the Eastern side. I think the claimant may have confused the IDL with
180 ° longitude.
2. The IDL runs through an island (I assume away from Antarctica, as this
would not be interesting) and it was set there by mistake, not realizing an
island was there.

Also, the above ABC story confuses me. Western AK and all HI on GMT-10:00
(Alaska, AIUI, will roll forward in April but HI doesn't observe Daylight
Saving T). Windows tells me Midway Island, Samoa are on GMT-11:00, so they
would say goodbye to the "millennium" later. And of course (IDL West i.e.
Bering Sea time) is GMT-12:00.

> more dramatically
> if not outdatedly
> kure
> the remotest of the hawaiian islands
> lies even beyond midway island
> which is a hawaiian island that is not a part of the state of hawaii
> but only of the usa directly
> so there the territorial interruption of the state is unavoidable
>
> come to think of it
> an ordinary map of greater midway may thus give you the actual
> map depiction of the disjunction of hi you are looking for

but Midway is not part of HI, is it? I thought HI was primarily the 8
islands. ummm. Kauai, Lanai, Oahu, Molechi, Maui, Hawaii and the other two
(I think only 6 are inhabited, or one is a military island. Maybe that is
why I only remember 6 of them).