Subject: Re: hi
Date: Jan 25, 2003 @ 18:42
Author: acroorca2002 <orc@orcoast.com> ("acroorca2002 <orc@...>" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "John Seeliger"
<jseelige@a...> wrote:
> I never replied to this one from back in May because I was (an
still am) looking for the pics, but I had a question.

> & for your exclave question you can add to your answer of ny &
ky

> which as you indicate do enjoy the only cases of disjunction
within the so called contiguous 48 states

> the several other american states whose offshore islands
extend beyond the normal territorial limits of states

> usually fixed at around 3 or 9 nautical miles from shore
>

> these actually discontiguous states are
>
> besides the relatively obvious ak & hi
>
> within the contiguous 48 ca & fl & me & wa
>
> & perhaps 1 or 2 others i may have forgotten
>
> This is my question. Arif's website mentions:
>
> USA
>
> Kentucky - Fragment separated by Missouri
>
> New York - Two enclaves in New Jersey territorial waters
>
> Dave Seaman wrote on rec.puzzles
that Hawaii and Michigan are not disconnected. I thought I
asked him about Alaska and he said no, but I can't find it. Where
is a map showing AK or HI disconnected?

i dont know of any maps
but it is a matter of international law
that the territorial seas of sovereign countries dont extend more
than 12 nautical miles from their coastal baselines

& it is a matter of american law
that the state territorial seas of ak & hi per se & most other
coastal states dont extend more than 3nm from their coasts

so the gap between kauai & oahu for example
being far more than 6 nautical miles
nay far more than even 24 nautical miles
breaks the territory not only of hawaii but ultimately at
midpassage even that of the usa itself

more dramatically
if not outdatedly
kure
the remotest of the hawaiian islands
lies even beyond midway island
which is a hawaiian island that is not a part of the state of hawaii
but only of the usa directly
so there the territorial interruption of the state is unavoidable

come to think of it
an ordinary map of greater midway may thus give you the actual
map depiction of the disjunction of hi you are looking for

but the even farther flung alaskan out islands present many
more & much larger territorial discontinuities than do the
hawaiian ones