Subject: Re: hi
Date: Jan 25, 2003 @ 20:26
Author: acroorca2002 <orc@orcoast.com> ("acroorca2002 <orc@...>" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "John

> it is a matter of american law
> > that the state territorial seas of ak & hi per se & most other
> > coastal states dont extend more than 3nm from their coasts
>
> OK, but above you mention 3 or 9. Didn't we discuss a while
back that FL
> extends 9 nmi and AL only 3 nmi?

exactly
gulf coast florida gets 9
tho atlantic coast florida gets only 3

all of texas & all of puerto rico get 9 also

the cause seems to be a vestige of the spanish 3 league limit
which i believe was traditionally triple the 3 mile limit
but in that case atlantic fl & all al & ms & la
not to mention guam etc
really do seem to have gotten a bum deal

but no matter
such absurdities only make it more amusing for us

> From a legal standpoint, does the US
> and Russia border?

yes definitely
there are even several tripoints wedged right in there
& strung out in a long northsouth line
like akruusn & akruuss at 3nm from each diomede
& aaakrus & aaakrun at 12nm from each diomede
& on out to the eezs & shelves

> 1. One of the Alaskan islands
> lies beyond the IDL. I doubt this as as fat as I can see, all of
them are
> on the Eastern side. I think the claimant may have confused
the IDL with
> 180 ° longitude.

good thinking
you have a pointers head

> 2. The IDL runs through an island (I assume away from
Antarctica, as this
> would not be interesting) and it was set there by mistake, not
realizing an
> island was there.

awesome
i bet you are right
& it would be great if you can find this probably tiny place

obviously the line jogs in several places to avoid things
but despite strong deja vu i cant think of anywhere it actually fails
to miss them

> Midway is not part of HI, is it?

yes i dont believe so

> I thought HI was primarily the 8
> islands. ummm. Kauai, Lanai, Oahu, Molechi, Maui, Hawaii
and the other two
> (I think only 6 are inhabited, or one is a military island. Maybe
that is
> why I only remember 6 of them).

& that is also why i say
if not outdatedly

since i only know kure has been part of the state of hawaii
like all the other islands in the entire chain except the midways

but am not sure if this odd leapfrog arrangement is still in effect