Subject: Re: Fulton County & other Childhood Finds
Date: Jan 25, 2003 @ 19:26
Author: acroorca2002 <orc@orcoast.com> ("acroorca2002 <orc@...>" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Craig

> I found a few archived messages pertaining to US county
exclaves, and
> I located them by typing "Fulton" in the search box.

excellent
so you probably already realize our cockamamie bp search
engine is perhaps the most fun equipment or appurtenance in
the entire arena of try pointing
& well worth all that extra trying & pointing

so many happy returns

> Can someone please
> post some photos of western Fulton County? Or tell me where
to find
> them? (Is there anything there worth photographing?)

yes this bubble is a wonderful place in its own right
but it also abuts the fantastic triplet tristate points of kymotn

message 4760 has an attachment picturing the only road
entrance to it

& i will post a view of each of the tripoints
hence 3 more views of &or from the interior of the bubble
each facing across the wide mississippi
as soon as i figure out how to get my load down to manageable
size for our dear folks like jannis
say under 100kb
or even less
i would hope
if thats works

> The same road atlas introduced me to the meandering
Mississippi River
> and its oxbow deviances. Just look at the western border of the
state
> of Mississippi! Was the border at one time the river, which, over
two
> centuries, has deviated, thereby leaving isolated pockets of
state
> land across in another "state"?

yes & you are describing a common occurrence
not only on other parts of the mississippi missouri
but in many places
such as was also recently pointed out by christian along inpk

but the bubble aka kentucky bend or madrid bend
was the result of inadequate geographical knowledge at the time
when the statutory 36deg30min state line of ncva & tnva & kytn
was projected by survey from the atlantic to the mississippi
& surprised everyone by striking the mississippi not once but 3
times in all
owing to the weird double switchback that occurs just there

> I know I am a newbie here, and maybe these points seem like
old news.

its ok because the topics are always growing anyway
& your inclination & ability to search successfully will help you too
more than many oldbies help themselves

> Your contributions leave me amazed. Through the archives, I
am just
> now learning about the Croatian triangular water exclave.
> Unbelievable!
>
> My memory is coming back now: In older editions of the
Guinness Book
> of Records, regarding the quad-point BoNaZmZw [1] it said
that the
> borders "come to a point". In later editions, it said that
> they "almost merge".

i think this may just be their editorial circumspection
after they must have gotten many letters from readers informing
them that it really isnt clear whether or where these boundaries
do actually merge

so changing the wording to
almost merge
was a slightly clumsy but reasonably safe way out
for the present & practically any eventuality

> [1] Through this group I am learning new terminology. Is there
> BoundaryPoint FAQ?

no but great idea