Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] EU and other European countries
Date: Sep 30, 2002 @ 20:33
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <kevin@...>)

Jan,

>One example is that skin creams made for Central European market does not
>fit for most light skin Norwegians. Anyway the EU regulations says how the
>instructions should be written and where it should be sold. Norwegians are
>blindly following up and thousands are getting skin damages.

Although I'm not disputing your tale, many of these EU 'scarce' stories are
actually the result of national governments implementing unpopular
legislation and then using the EU as a convenient scapegoat. In addition,
the EU is unable to initiate any law in any member state without the
consent of that member. Whilst compromise is usually possible between all
member states in the case of 'minor' legislation, several states have (or
had) opted out of the likes of the Schengen Agreement, the ERM, and the
European Social Chapter.

To give you a practical example, the EU has frequently been blamed in the
UK for forcing us to abandon imperial measures in favour of metric
measures. However, I've never been able to find any EU legislation that
actually compels the abolition of the imperial system, and even if this
exists, the UK government would have had to consent to this. Furthermore,
why is it that I can still go to certain EU countries and still buy things
(such as plumbing fittings) in imperial sizes? The answer I suspect lies on
the UK government's own website which states that a complete transition to
metric has been government policy since 1971 (before we even joined the EEC).

>My personal opintion is that the EU will need to change after some time.
>Europe is consisting from a too big mixture of nations with different
>understanding on things.

I would agree with you. I think it will ultimately be impossible to find
common consensus when the EU expands beyond its current size. However, we
shouldn't forget that the USA actually started as a loose collection of
largely squabbling states, but did eventually forge itself into a single
nation (albeit one with a lot of devolved power).

Regards,

Kevin Meynell