Subject: Re: EU and other European countries
Date: Oct 03, 2002 @ 14:59
Author: anorak222 ("anorak222" <listen@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., Kevin Meynell <kevin@m...> wrote:
Furthermore,
> why is it that I can still go to certain EU countries and still buy
things
> (such as plumbing fittings) in imperial sizes?

Often because a product is for some reason US-centered. Anything
computer related for example; e.g. computer monitor sizes are
measured in inch in most parts of Europe. The reason being that the
common IBM-compatible PC and its peripherals originated as an
American product. By contrast, TV screens have been measured in
centimeters as long as I can remember, because neither television as
a concept nor TV sets are specifically American.

[EU ...]
> I would agree with you. I think it will ultimately be impossible to
find
> common consensus when the EU expands beyond its current size.

It depends on how strong the bond is supposed to be. If it's defined
more loosely, it'll work, and that'll be better in the long run
anyway.

>However, we
> shouldn't forget that the USA actually started as a loose
collection of
> largely squabbling states, but did eventually forge itself into a
single
> nation (albeit one with a lot of devolved power).

I really don't think that comparison works. The USA is culturally
rather homogenous compared to Europe. It has a common origin as
British colony and a common political stance.

Regards