Subject: Re: Changing sides of the road
Date: Sep 11, 2002 @ 22:59
Author: Grant Hutchison ("Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

> There is a little more on this subject at:
> http://www.travel-library.com/general/driving/drive_which_side.html
That "Keep Right" sign in Iceland reminds me of the problems I had
driving there. On the hundreds of miles of dirt roads they don't so
much drive on the right as pass on the right - you generally steam
along the median until you sight something coming in the other
direction, or approach a blind summit.
On some of the country roads, you don't meet oncoming traffic for
minutes on end - long enough for me to forget where I was, so that at
first sight of an oncoming, my Brit reflexes would kick in, and I'd
haul over to the left, just as the other driver pulled right. Then
I'd realise my mistake and pull right; just as he wondered what the
hell I was doing and yanked to the left. And so on.

Grant