Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Digest Number 798
Date: Sep 12, 2002 @ 00:51
Author: b.whyte@pgrad.unimelb.edu.au (b.whyte@...)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

Which is why rental cars in NZ and Australia often have a large arrow-shaped sticker on the plastic panel over the speedo: "Links Halten"

Many sealed roads in the outback are two lanes wide, but only one lane-width is sealed, in the middle of the road. So you drive along the flat straight road at 100km/h, there'll be a ptatch of scrub and a bend in the road, which as you approach, a road trian comes arund the bend at you, also at 100. If it were a normal car, you would eahc pull one wheel off the seal onto the dirt, and slow down to avoid dust and flying styones, but with a road trian, they don't pull over, so you have to pull right off the road, almost into the ditch. Which is why you see a lot of wrecked cars in the ditches on the sides of the road, bleached by the desert sun!

BW