Subject: Re: Old German Boundary Marker
Date: Jul 10, 2002 @ 18:26
Author: anorak222 ("anorak222" <wolfi.junkmail@...>)

Hi Jan,

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Jan S. Krogh" <la9qca@q...> wrote:

> Why do you think the border here moved after WW1? Of cource it
> moved north of the Nemunas (germ. Memel) river, but not here

I didn't pay attention to the fact that the "Memel" area starts
further North. My error.

> Some corrections:
> 1920 - 1940: Germany/Lithuania
> 1940 - 1945: Germany/Soviet Russian occupation
> 1945 - 1990: (USSR occupation)
> 1990 - 1991: USSR / Lithuania
> 1991 - today: Russia/Lithuania

I guess the wording depends on the political views one is brought up
with. I didn't mean to take sides with this issue. But it seems we
agree on the facts, except on the date when Lithuania became
independent again. I got my 1991 date from a quick web search, which
seems to confirm what I thought, namely at the same time the Soviet
Union broke up. Your 1990 date seems to suggest that Lithuania became
independent earlier. Is that so? Is it also true for the other Baltic
states?

Regards