Subject: Re: Old German Boundary Marker
Date: Jul 10, 2002 @ 18:24
Author: ps1966nl ("ps1966nl" <smaardijk@...>)

Just for the record the German boundaries acc. to Versailles at
http://history.acusd.edu/gen/text/versaillestreaty/ver027.html :

Art. 28, this part:

"(...)thence in an easterly direction to a point immediately south of
the intersection of the road Neidenburg-Mlava with the old frontier
of Russia: a line to be fixed on the ground passing north of
Bialutten; thence the old frontier of Russia to a point east of
Schmalleningken, then the principal channel of navigation of the
Niemen (Memel) downstream (...)"

Bialutten is nowadays called Bialuty (l with bar) in Poland (in
between Nidzica (Neidenburg in German) and Mlawa (l with bar)). Here
the new German boundary met the pre-WW1 one. From there, the pre-WW1
boundary was followed up to Schmalleningken (nowadays Smalininkai in
Lithuania).

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Jan S. Krogh" <la9qca@q...> wrote:
> Hello Wolfi,
>
> Why do you think the border here moved after WW1? Of cource it
moved north
> of the Nemunas (germ. Memel) river, but not here (see encl. German
map from
> 1917) according to my knowlegde. Elderly Lithuanian people in
Vistytis still
> remembers "angry Germans who were shooting with rifles against the
> Lithuanians hunting on German side of the lake".
> I was astonished by the several nice German style houses in
Vistytis. Before
> WWII many inhabitants there were German.
>
> Some corrections:
> 1920 - 1940: Germany/Lithuania
> 1940 - 1945: Germany/Soviet Russian occupation
> 1945 - 1990: (USSR occupation)
> 1990 - 1991: USSR / Lithuania
> 1991 - today: Russia/Lithuania
>
> Best regards,