Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Old German Boundary Marker
Date: Jul 10, 2002 @ 17:24
Author: Jan S. Krogh ("Jan S. Krogh" <la9qca@qsl.net>)

Hello Wolfi,

Why do you think the border here moved after WW1? Of cource it moved north of the Nemunas (germ. Memel) river, but not here (see encl. German map from 1917) according to my knowlegde. Elderly Lithuanian people in Vistytis still remembers "angry Germans who were shooting with rifles against the Lithuanians hunting on German side of the lake".
I was astonished by the several nice German style houses in Vistytis. Before WWII many inhabitants there were German.

Some corrections:
1920 - 1940: Germany/Lithuania
1940 - 1945: Germany/Soviet Russian occupation
1945 - 1990: (USSR occupation)
1990 - 1991: USSR / Lithuania
1991 - today: Russia/Lithuania

Best regards,