Subject: Re: bonazazi?
Date: Apr 16, 2002 @ 14:23
Author: granthutchison ("granthutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

> Since I am new to this list, not sure whether this got
> discussed before. Do Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe and
> Zambia form a quadpoint near Vitoria Falls or there
> are tripoints lying close to one another?
BoNaZaZi! You've independently invented my abbreviation for this
point, which brought down contumely on my head when I first ventured
it. It's poor practice because its based on neither ISO nor FIPS
digraphs; but we know what we mean, don't we?
This has been extensively discussed on this list. I think a short
summary would be that a quadripoint is vanishingly unlikely, since it
would require a surveyed border line (Bot/Zim) to intersect the
Bot/Nam/Zam tripoint (at the precise confluence point of the Zambezi
and Chobe rivers), by chance rather than design. So the quadripoint
decays into two tripoints, but the exact location of the confluence
(upstream or downstream of the surveyed border line) seems to be
unknown.
So we're 99.99999% certain there's no quadripoint, but feel that
probably *no-one* knows whether the short border segment between the
two tripoints is Zambia/Botwana or Namibia/Zimbabwe.
Michael, who keeps track of these things, will most likely be able to
quote specific postings you can refer back to, and perhaps also give
the URL of his scan of the original article on the topic
from "African Boundaries".

Grant