Subject: Re: TopoZone - Washington quad county point
Date: Apr 16, 2002 @ 14:02
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

thanx david
this has certainly been a fantastic thread

as i indicated below
the legal wording wont prove the fiat quadripoint pudding but might
fudge it into a satisfactory degree of normalcy
& thus might well coincide with what you are wanting to see here

oregon & florida have the county boundaries in state statutes but some
states have them in their constitution too

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., David Mark <dmark@g...> wrote:
> Michael, good point to note that course lines are not identical to
> thalwegs. But surely, the proof of this pudding in this case would
lie in
> the exact wording of the legal descriptions of the various county
> boundaries, and in particular the definition of the Yakima-Kittitas
line
> about the head of its creek, and the King-Pierce line above the head
of
> its creek. Any idea on where to get legal descriptions of the
boundaries
> of the counties of Washington?
>
> David
>
> King - Kittitas - Pierce - Yakima
>
> On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, acroorca2002 wrote:
>
> > great paper david
> > & i am pleased jacks fantastic discovery here satisfies your needs
> >
> > also i realize you are working from a theoretical basis
> > & that your modeling is intended to smooth over any rough edges
> > & indeed it seems to me to be successful for that very reason
> >
> > yet from a punctological point of view
> > a primary thalweg line can only be traced to its true source
> > experientially
> > naturally
> > inch by inch
> > & in the upstream direction only
> > & cant simply be declared to fall by extra fiat as it were
> > defined as a course line now & no longer even a true thalweg
> > from any particularly convenient point
> > including even the low point of a saddle
> > deliciously simplifying & satisfying as that is
> > because in reality waters are shed from above the saddle as well
> > & unless you actually perform the sawanabori uphill you can never
be
> > sure you are upon the main stem at any given moment
> >
> > from my own observations & tries at doing just this sort of thing
> > i believe if we stood at naches pass in a heavy rain we would even
be
> > able to see the trickles that fall in both directions from the
saddle
> > there as tributaries to larger trickles that fall from elsewhere
on
> > the transverse ridge
> >
> > so you may pronounce your extra fiat that will make this a perfect
> > quadripoint
> > but i still dont see how there is a true natural fiat quadripoint
by
> > your earlier definition
> > as indeed there might well have been at a mountain peak

> > --- In BoundaryPoint@y..., David Mark <dmark@g...> wrote:
> > > Thanks, Jack, this IS an instance of what I was looking for,
> > although I
> > > was imagining 4 ridges coming to a peak, and not two ridges and
two
> > > course lines coming to a saddle.
> > >
> > > There is a theory of continuous, smooth surfaces laid our by
Alred
> > Cayley
> > > in 1859, and the famous physicist James Clerk Maxwell in 1870,
that
> > shows
> > > that at any saddle point (such as Naches pass), there in fact
are
> > two
> > > course lines that must emanate from the exact point of the
saddle,
> > as well
> > > as two ridge lines running up to peaks. According to that theory
> > this
> > > should indeed be a perfect quadripoint.
> > >
> > > Cayley, A., 1859. On contour lines and slope lines.
Philosophical
> > > Magazine, 18, 264-268.
> > >
> > > Maxwell, J. C., 1870. On hills and dales. Philosophical
Magazine,

http://wings.buffalo.edu/philosophy/faculty/smith/articles/topography.
> > pdf
> > >
> > > David