Subject: Re: US-Mexico Joint Projects
Date: Apr 07, 2002 @ 21:46
Author: drpotatoes ("drpotatoes" <drpotatoes@...>)

wow thanks for all the detailed info, the maritime boundaries hadn't
even occured to me. landlubber!

In regards to the bcazca and sonbcaz tripoints i didn't expect to
find an exact point but rather where the 'iron curtain' would meet
the river at the 2 points. I've been over the colorado and vacationed
there on occasion as a child and the vegetation is quite thick, so I
thought seeing the wall end at some point and water begin would
suffice for me. That's my next trip since i am so close i think i'll
do it this week sometime and post photos here.

I did get down to border field state park yesterday and snapped
around 50 photos with the digital camera from the US side. I'll post
a few of the most enjoyable ones here. Click on the 'photos' category
on the left hand side of this page, then us/mex border. Please note
how different the monument and wall look now compared to the photo on
the IBWC website
(http://www.ibwc.state.gov/LANDBOUN/land_boundary.htm)

The last monument at border field state park is easily accesible but
most of the border wall is quite heavily fortified as to where it is
difficult to get close in many spots. Most of the border patrol
agents are amicable too, in contrast to how it actually feels there.

As far as for other monuments in my area, I've found that it's
actually much easier to access the monuments from within TJ. They've
built many semi-highways that zip right along the border wall and
that's the best way to access these points (near the airport and
towards the beach). Of course that also makes it difficult to stop
and casually snap a photo. And since the wall was built a foot or 2
behind the monument the US shield is difficult to see.

Victor