Subject: Re: Turkish exclave in Syria?
Date: Jan 20, 2002 @ 21:11
Author: granthutchison ("granthutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

Michael:
> >Well, it seems more like one of Arif's virtual enclaves to me. The
> >treaty wording is that the tomb "will be the property of Turkey, and
> >Turkey will place guards there and will raise the Turkish flag."
> >There's no mention of it being on Turkish soil, so it seems more like
> >an embassy than an enclave - sitting on top of Syria, rather than
> >perforating it.

> well ok but dont you also think we still need to see the treaty
texts to
> settle all questions like this
Yesyesyes. But I think what I'm quoting there *is* Article 9 of the
Treaty of Ankara, at least in translation - I plucked it from a
website the URL of which I've now (oops) mislaid.

> at the same time we know of only about 6 condo situations worldwide
> so maybe someone like myself could easily keep track of all these
I agree these places are fascinating, and I have already lost track of
their various intricacies. Maybe someone with a tighter grasp could
maintain a text file of brief descriptions in the Files area?
(On which theme, I've just updated Perfs & Frags in the light of the
hard information on the new Moldovan exclave that sharp-shooting Peter
S has turned up for us.)

Grant