Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Turkish exclave in Syria?
Date: Jan 20, 2002 @ 20:54
Author: m donner ("m donner" <maxivan82@...>)

>From: "granthutchison

>Michael:
> > > So it was still Turkish enough in the middle of last year for them
> > > to be spending big money on it.
> > then its a frag&perf
> > isnt it
>Well, it seems more like one of Arif's virtual enclaves to me. The
>treaty wording is that the tomb "will be the property of Turkey, and
>Turkey will place guards there and will raise the Turkish flag."
>There's no mention of it being on Turkish soil, so it seems more like
>an embassy than an enclave - sitting on top of Syria, rather than
>perforating it.

well ok but dont you also think we still need to see the treaty texts to
settle all questions like this
& perhaps also to set some kind of standard or threshold criteria so as to
remain as objective as possible even once we have seen them

> > also have you factored in the newfound condo areas
>I've been ignoring condos in my border survey - since I'm working from
>93 basic nations, the condos constitute some sort of blurring of the
>border region but don't change the topology of what borders on what
>else. (As far as I can see. Anyone disagree?)

yes but only slightly
owing first to my fundamentally punctological point of view
wherein a strictly topological or mosaical presentation would begin by
addressing the actual boundary points & then the intervening lines & only
then the areas they enclose
& second because the overlaps of dominium or sovereignty are among the most
fascinating things on the globe
but i certainly understand & respect where you are coming from

at the same time we know of only about 6 condo situations worldwide
so maybe someone like myself could easily keep track of all these

> > eshoni
>El Salvador/Honduras/Nigeria? Wow.

that nothing
i also just misspoke chkpru for cnkpru