Subject: Re: Turkish exclave in Syria?
Date: Jan 19, 2002 @ 00:58
Author: granthutchison ("granthutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

Rolf:
> Someone indicated to me the existence of a Turkish exclave
> within Syria, located on the east bank of the River
> Euphrates, east of Membij, on the main road north-east
> of Aleppo, about 25 miles south of the border.
>
> This would be the tomb of Suleymn-shah, but despite my
> efforts I haven't been able to verify its existence and
> my Turkish informants haven't been able to help.

This tomb was Turkish property under Article 9 of the 1921 Treaty of
Ankara between Turkey and France: "The mausoleum of Suleiman Shah, the
grandfather of Sultan Osman, the founder of the Ottoman dynasty, which
is located in the Caber castle, and which is known by the term Turkish
tomb, together with its annexes, will be the property of Turkey, and
Turkey will place guards there and will raise the Turkish flag."

In 1998 it was still Turkish according to this site:
http://www.turkpulse.com/unde.htm
which states, "The 1921 Treaty of Ankara signed between Turkey and
France makes provisions for keeping Turkish soldiers in Jaber Castle,
30 km inland from the Turkish frontier. The tomb of Suleiman Shah is
also located there and two squads of Turkish soldiers are rotated
there twice a month. Syria has recently attempted to move this castle
elsewhere because it would remain under the Teshrin dam's waters.
Turkey has rejected changing this treaty right and continues flying
the Turkish flag and keeping 20 Turkish soldiers there."
But the more recent site
http://www.syriagate.com/Syria/about/cities/Al_Raqqa/jaaber.htm
says that the Syrians have since moved the tomb upstream.

To me, this seems to suggest some sort of virtual enclave status which
may now have vanished altogether.

Grant