Subject: Re: Cape Agulhas
Date: Dec 30, 2001 @ 23:18
Author: granthutchison ("granthutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

Jesper:
> This is how I felt (and feel) about Cape Agulhas - the southern
point of
> Africa. The tripoint of Africa-Atlantic Ocean-Indian Ocean
>
> How can the tip be exactly on the E20 lattitude (or longitude?)
And there's more. The name is Portuguese, meaning Cape of the Needles,
so I always presumed there must be some needle-shaped rocks in the
vicinity. But no - I learned recently that the name derives from the
fact that, when Portuguese navigators first sailed past, they noticed
that their compass needles pointed due north - ie there was no
magnetic variation in the area, so the lines of magnetic longitude
were aligned with the geographical lines of longitude. Unfortunately
at that time they wouldn't have been using the Greenwich meridian, so
they wouldn't have had an exact 20E longitude to go along with that
alignment, and of course the magnetic pole has moved since that time
and the magnetic alignment doesn't exist any more. But still, Agulhas
seems to be a place where a lot of things come together.