Subject: Re: US counties, unincorprated territories
Date: Nov 07, 2001 @ 18:24
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., PitHokie <pithokie@y...> wrote:
> The difference is in name only. Governmentally, there
> is no difference between a state and a commonwealth.

I know that in Germany, two "Laender" have the official designation
of "Freistaat": Bavaria and Saxony. I don't know whether this has any
implications. Does someone know?

And I remember vaguely that the position of Texas is fundamentally
different from all other states in the US (because it used to be an
independent republic). Can someone say something about that?

What about the difference between territories in countries like
Canada, Australia, and Russia (=krai) and the regular subdivisions?
Why is it like this and what are the practical implications?

Peter S.