Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Egypt/Jordan maritime border?
Date: Oct 21, 2001 @ 07:20
Author: Anton Sherwood (Anton Sherwood <bronto@...>)

Grant Hutchison wrote:
> Does anyone know whether Jordan and Egypt abut in the Red Sea? This
> would require the triangle of Israeli sea to fall short at its apex
> of the equidistance line between the Egyptian and Jordanian coasts,
> or for some treaty to have been concluded since Prescott's Maritime
> Boundaries book was published in 1985.

I'd say yes. The Gulf of Aqaba is 16 km wide along the Jordan-Saudi
line, and the southernmost point of Israel on land is 15 km from that
line. The Israel-Egypt line, extended perpendicular (as near as I can
judge) to the coast at that point, hits the other side in Jordan 11 km
north of the Saudi border.

(I'm using plate 86 of The Times Atlas, 1990 -- which I got at a steep
discount because of the dissolution of the USSR!)

--
Anton Sherwood