Subject: Re: Capitals vs. Borders
Date: Oct 02, 2001 @ 21:38
Author: Grant Hutchison ("Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

Michael:
>yikes & maybe oops
>i just found paraguay laos brunei togo botswana uzbekistan denmark &
>central african republic all looking like possible capitals on
>borders countries
From personal experience, I think you can strike Uzbekistan and
Botswana - Tashkent and Gaborone are near, but not on, international
borders. The others towns I don't know, but they look good to me, and
all of them seem to be built on rivers or straits which also happen
to mark international boundaries, with the *very* interesting
exception of Lome in Togo, which sits cheerfully and oddly squashed
against the Ghanaian land border. I happen to have a street map of
Lome (as one does), and it comes to a sudden halt on the western
side, as if someone had chopped off a third of the town. (The
Presidential Palace is a mere km from this border, but it's down on
the sea front and if I had to bet I'd give the balcony a sea view
over the Boulevard de la Republique, rather than having it peer into
Ghana from the side of the building.)

> buda & pest come to mind as possibly facing capitals
Strike them too, I'm afraid. Budapest is completely contained in its
own capital territory, surrounded in turn (I think) by the province
of Pest on both sides of the river.

Grant