Subject: Re: Capitals vs. Borders
Date: Oct 02, 2001 @ 19:54
Author: Michael Donner ("Michael Donner" <barbaria_longa@...>)

fellow bp cocreators giants kings & indeed divinities

todd has suggested sharing this interesting thread

& it may well be shameless of us to include such personal stuff

but bp has been curiously encouraging of sharing relevant side conversations

most likely just because  the point & the pointer are one  & thus equally interesting

but possibly also because our beloved everyones land

  if it is ever to become real

is surely a no fault no blame no guilt no shame reality

  or rather an all fun reality

so why delay that

& frankly also this thread is too interesting to waste

because it so nicely develops at least 3 topics that matter perhaps to many of us

specifically

  everyones land

  our gigantism sovereignty divinity or whatever you call it

  & capitals on borders

yes a multi thread at last

& thanx to todd a well braided one at that

the matter of gigantism

which burgeoned from gargantuanism to bigfootism & beyond as we realized how great we are when compared to multipoints & even to multiples of states & nations

really does boil down to the matter of multisovereignty

the multisovereignty not only of the points but of ourselves for thinking like this

& the matter of our multisovereignty

  in view of the divine rights of sovereigns

continues to boil down to the matter of our collective or multiple divinity

  yes i think we are divine

because after all where does the boundary point lie in all of this

if it is not in the ultimate reductio ad sublimum

that in everyones land everyone is a sovereign state

yes

right

just like all the other countries of the world

we are all individually & collectively on a par with say the vatican city at the very least

yes

in everyones land we can all be vatican cities

& even multi vatican cities if we so decide & have sufficiently multiple personalities to man all the embassies

but i have raced ahead of myself

& yet coincidentally we come at last via the vatican city & its balcony to the captioned topic & the questions that follow

whew

capitals on borders interest me first for their rarity

second & third for their extremism & counterexemplariness

but perhaps most of all because they offer the comical escherian topological contortion of the inmost part of a thing being also the outmost

or of a state wearing its heart  as it were  on its sleeve

or even of a short circuiting of our present idea of sovereignty  if you would

particularly when a balcony of government really does face so clownishly outwards

  as a center reaching practically beyond its perimeter

& most dramatically of all if an instance of intervisible balconies & thus direct heart to heart contact between governments can be confirmed anywhere

i confess in previous messages on these subjects

i was just shooting my mouth off from the hip as usual

& i still havent made any more careful survey on this question than to be able to say that trenton is indeed unique in this regard among the 50 states

tho it is true that you may also be able to see out of state on a clear day from the tops of the capitol domes in providence dover tallahassee st paul cheyenne & carson city

but these are all just distant runners up to trenton

& not state line cities in any case

& grant & i have so far only found 5 likely such cases among the 192 national capitals

with 3 of these being arguably trivial or negligible for being only city states anyway

  vatican monaco & singapore

but the other 2 of these being the especially interesting & possibly even intervisible

  brazzaville & kinshasa

yikes & maybe oops

i just found paraguay laos brunei togo botswana uzbekistan denmark & central african republic all looking like possible  capitals on borders  countries

oh well

we shall see

however whether brazz kinshasa or any of these latter city limits actually even reach an international boundary as for example in the middle of the congo river has yet to be confirmed

in secondary level situations outside the usa

buda & pest come to mind as possibly facing capitals

but i cant confirm that nor think of any other such possibilities off hand

  & so much for the secondary & primary levels

when tertiary levels or beyond are considered

& i admit i havent checked this out at all yet either

it is nevertheless obvious that the reduction in size of the political entity under consideration makes it increasingly likely that the capital or seat of government will be on or near an edge of that entity

so the odds of 1 or 2 percent of finding capitals on borders at the highest levels will probably inevitably increase to perhaps 10 or 20 percent at the tertiary level & beyond

& thus become too commonplace to care about

for me the really interesting living edge of this puzzle

which i have been wanting to pursue but necessarily postponing

is the positions of the state houses in the actual street plans of the 4 untested national capitals

  now perhaps as many as a dozen

to see whether any of these equals or exceeds the international view of the vatican leader & favorite

singapore & monte carlo might be easy

  i just havent tried yet

but brazzaville & kinshasa have resisted many efforts

& that is where the thing rests for now

a mere plaything & sidecar to my multisovereign pointing interests

yet intriguing nonetheless

on another hand

everyones land

as the original creation & perhaps ultimate expression of bp

tho an even higher priority

is similarly waiting for me to get around to checking in this case the antarctic & unclos treaties

just to see what we really do have here

but since i believe we are still a united nations trust territory & not yet a sovereign country

  or rather still a legal multidominium & not yet a legal omnidominium

i am pretty sure we do have in this at least a legally substantial heritage if not yet the actual inheritance & birthright of our omnisovereignty

for it is that transition from multi to omni that has become the capital central & overwhelmingly interesting point in all this
has it not
& indeed the very best hope of the world might even be for us to achieve legal independence & then voluntary reunite with the united nations as a coequal
for then everybody would at least have to deal with everyones land even if they did not belong to it
& so omnisovereignty would then naturally become the global default state of mind

& that would at least mean de facto global omnisovereignty
  aka the state of gracious nature
with the written law following necessarily in due time
if by that time anyone still cares

ok ok
i am out of time now anyway