Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] yikes kztmuz is reportedly undelineated & definitely elusive
Date: Sep 04, 2006 @ 23:30
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

--- "Lowell G. McManus" <lgm@...> wrote:

> Your and my estimations of the tripoint location are
> quite close. What
> makes you think, though, that this is on a "fairly
> steep gradient," when
> the darkness in both photos shows the presence of
> water--especially when
> compared with the photo when the area was dry?

yes it is reassuring to know our guesses are this
close
at least horizontally
but my reading of the satpic
combined with what i have seen of surface photos of
the neighborhood
is that all homogeneously colored areas are relatively
flat
whether they be white or dark or beige
while areas of variegated colors beside & between &
among all these flats must indicate a variety of
gradients

also i think it is clear from a comparison of encarta
& google that the lowest & wettest areas are the white
ones
& not necessarily the dark ones

but i draw no hard conclusions about standing water
even tho the best available map shows none anywhere
within 5 km of the tripoint
& it is my impression that this entire region is
trending drier rather than wetter

it is perspective that creates perception
& i realize your perspective is just wetter than mine
in this case

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&om=1&z=14&ll=41.317206,55.994568&spn=0.031588,0.058708&t=h

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/mapcenter/map.aspx?TextLatitude=41.399513160184476&TextLongitude=56.029051315699746&TextAltitude=8&TextSelectedEntity=10107400&SearchEnc=false&MapStyle=Comprehensive&MapSize=Medium&MapStyleSelectedIndex=0&searchTextMap=goklenkuyu&MapStylesList=Comprehensive&ZoomOnMapClickCheck=on&ResultsListbox=43.2899541104997%3B59.2412018038095%3B5%3B10107400%3BQoraqalpoghiston+%28autonomous+republic%29%2C+Uzbekistan%3BMedium%3BComprehensive

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=10&ll=41.307729,55.994568&spn=0.505475,0.939331&t=h&om=1
> >> that kztmuz is neither atop the plateau nor in
> the
> >> salt lake
> >> but somewhere among the chaotic breaks that lie
> in
> >> between
> >> as for example in these neighborhood views
> >> at top in each case
> >> http://www.stantours.com/tm_syl_ee_kap.html
> >> http://www.ayan-travel.com/tm_syl_ee_kap.html

> work