Subject: AW: [BoundaryPoint] East Berlin border posts
Date: Mar 19, 2005 @ 06:48
Author: Wolfgang Schaub ("Wolfgang Schaub" <Wolfgang.Schaub@...>)

Hi Laszlo,

Sorry, I am a latecomer - due to holiday absence. Although being German, I am NOT an expert, but three things are sure:

1) There was no border crossing at Alexanderplatz, since this square is not at the border, but deeper in East Berlin.

2) Germans could NOT cross at Checkpoint Charlie - this was only for foreigners

3) Friedrichstrasse was the classical crossing point for West Germans, especially for those who had no visa to enter the DDR, i. e. those on day trip allowances.

But there is more to say: West Germans with business visa could cross at a couple of additional places like Glienicker Brücke (this was also the place where spies from both sides were exchanged). How many of these additional crossings existed I do not know for sure, but if you check with http://www.die-berliner-mauer.de/  you may find it was Bornholmer Stasse, Chausseestrasse, Invalidenstrasse, Heinrich-Heine-Strasse, Oberbaumbrücke and Sonnenallee.

Best wishes, and have a nice dinner - I am pretty sure you will lose, because if you go into details, some of the crossings listed above may have existed for a while only and were closed after the Est Berlin comrades felt they offered no advantage; so the lady will always win if she is an expert.

Wolfgang